Saturday, December 5, 2009

(PM01) Romans - Part 5


Step Twelve. I painted a base coat of light tan (Vallejo Model Color 912 Tan Yellow) on all of the cloth.

Step Twelve: 14 min.
Total: 221 min.






Step Thirteen. I painted over the tan in all areas except the parts that would have the deepest shadow.

This bottle of Americana Antique White is almost empty. I have bought three other "Antique White" paints and none of them are the same (see next step). Unfortunately both craft stores near me seem to have quit carrying this particular color. It's still listed at their web page, though, so it still seems to be manufactured. Very frustrating. Seems silly to pay the shipping for just one bottle of paint.

Step Thirteen: 7 min.
Total: 228 min.



Step Fourteen. Another highlight using one of the alternate "Antique White" paints mentioned above. It's about midway between the other paint and pure white. At least it makes a good mid-point layer.

Step Fourteen: 6 min.
Total: 234 min.





Step Fifteen. Small highlights at some of the most extreme areas of highlight.

The "three color" style of painting gives decent results. But going with further layers will increase the effect of layering, making it blend (visually) with each extra layer. Looking at the time spent on the last couple steps, particularly this one, you can see how little time it is involved in going that extra step. I was actually wondering if I should have stopped with the previous step. After looking at the time myself, I'm fine with going with 4 or 5 layers on major areas of figures.


Step Fifteen: 3 min.
Total: 237 min.



Step Sixteen. Base coat of red on the shields. Many reds have weak coverage on a black base. Or even over white -- they will look streaky. So I usually figure on at least one "prep coat." If I wanted to paint a very dark red, I'd repeat a second thin layer of this paint next. But I will be painting a bit of a lighter/medium red. So the next step will be...

...to be continued...


Step Sixteen: 5 min.
Total: 242 min.

No comments:

Post a Comment