Sunday, March 28, 2010
(PM04) Wars of the Roses Cavalry - Part 2
Step Four. I painted a base coat on all the saddles and horse equipment. I used four different colors, two shades of brown, red, and blue.
Step Four: 32 min.
Total: 78 min.
Step Five. Highlights and/or washes added to the saddles and equipment.
Step Five: 16 min.
Total: 94 min.
Step Six. Due to poor planning, I should have painted the belts, scabbards, etc. on the knights before washing the entire figure with black. So now I went back and painted those portions brown, then washed them with black as a separate step. The wash was only a couple minutes, but that was a redundant couple of minutes.
Step Six: 10 min.
Total: 104 min.
Step Seven. This is several steps rolled into one. First I went back and put another layer of black wash on all of the horses lower legs, tails, manes, and around the mouth area on some of them.
Then I added the dappled spots to the grey horses. I did this with quick & irregular spots of thinned out grey paint. I sometimes put a few spots down, then lightly push my finger onto the paint if it's a bit to heavy and/or too "contrasty." My goal is usually to try to make the dappled spots look subtle. I do usually go back and add a few heavier (more opaque) spots with un-thinned paint, for variety.
Finally I added some "socks" to some of the brown horses using first antique white, then a straight white.
Step Seven: 12 min.
Total: 116 min.
Step Eight. Final step was all the gold and/or brass bits. Instead of using a base + wash + highlight like I frequently do, I just did a base of GW "Tin Bits" followed by a highlight of gold. I don't think it looks as good as the usual method, but the areas I was painting were so small they're hard to even notice in the first place. So the shortcut had little (if any) visual effect.
Step Eight: 10 min.
Total: 126 min.
So that's the final total. 126 minutes, divided by 10 figures is about 12.6 minutes per figure. Not bad, though I've got to admit they're not the best figures I've done. But they're OK. I think I took a few too many shortcuts.